History: The Faculty was founded in 1816. The prerequisites for the establishment of the Faculty of Forestry were laid in the beginning of the 19th century, when the Warsaw Forest School was established on the territory of the Kingdom of Poland. On October 17 (5), 1816, Tsar Alexander I signed a decree to open a special forestry school in Warsaw. The grand opening of the institution took place on April 7 (March 26), 1818. The classes began at the building of the Warsaw University. The Warsaw Forest School in 1840 was annexed to the Institute of Agriculture in Marimont (a suburb of Warsaw), which was reorganized into the Marimont Institute of Agriculture and Forestry, where there were two divisions: agricultural and forestry.
Structure: The faculty consist from 5 departments: Forestry; Reforestation and Melioration; Department of Forest Management, Forest Exploitation and Life Safety; Landscape Gardening; Philosophy, Historical and Social Disciplines.
There are 7 Doctors of Sciences and Professors, 26 Candidates of Science (PhD), University Professors and Assistant Professors.
The material and technical base of the faculty includes 24 educational classrooms, laboratory of seed and nursery of the Department of reforestation and melioration, Museum of Nature, Arboretum of KhNAU, nursery, rosary and State Enterprise "Skripayvske Educational Research Forestry".
Education: The faculty conduct training in three main specialties: "Forestry" - junior bachelors (short-cycle), bachelors and masters; "Landscape gardening" - bachelors and masters; "Sociology" - bachelors.
The graduates are preparing for production, management, project and research activities in forestry. They can work in forestry and gardening enterprises, educational and research institutions, forest inventory and project organizations.
Department of Forestry named after B.F. Ostapenko is conducting research in the following areas:
- - Assessment and ways to improve the sanitary status of forest stands
- - Induction of stability and productivity of woody plants
- - Ecological features of forest cover
- - The use of introductory plants in forest and park stands
- - Growth and sanitary status of stands in the recreational zone of KhNAU
- - Assessment of hunting territories in the forests of Left Bank Ukraine.
Department of reforestation and melioration is conducting research in the following areas:
- - Research, study and optimization of the efficiency of the forest melioration complex in the conditions of the crossed terrain.
- - Investigation of problems of restoration, creation and development of steppe and forest-steppe forest stands.
- - Investigation of the condition and growth of common oak in corridor-reconstructed stands in fresh fertile conditions.
- - Assessment of forestry potential of soils and forest typological classification of forest soils.
- - Diagnosis of unproductive soils for afforestation.
- - Investigation of the forest stands of European larch in the conditions of the Left Bank Forest Steppe of Ukraine.
- - Investigation of the effectiveness of Stimulate and Bioforge preparations in the cultivation of planting material of forest tree species and the creation of common pine forest stands in the conditions of the Left Bank Forest Steppe of Ukraine.
- - Investigation of the features of natural regeneration of oak forests in the conditions of the Left Bank Forest Steppe of Ukraine.
Department of Forest Management, Forest Exploitation and Life Safety is conducting research in the following areas:
- - Development of socio-economic and environmental factors of the system of forest management and forest exploitation in market conditions.
- - Condition and productivity of soft-leafed stands of Kharkiv region.
- - Dynamics of the state and productivity of pine stands in the Left Bank Forest Steppe.
- - Ecological and landscape organization of the territory of Luhansk region.
- - Study of the problem of detection, storage and disposal of unsuitable pesticides and agrochemicals in Ukraine.
- - Utilization of the potential productivity of the forest land of the Left Bank Forest Steppe.
- - Ecological and economic assessment of forests in Chernihiv region.
- - Investigation of drinking water in the sources of Kharkiv region.
Department of Landscape gardening is conducting research in the following areas:
- - Study of ecological and biological features of ornamental plants of the genus Cotoneaster and prospects of their use in landscaping.
- - Monitoring of landscape ecosystems in urban environment.
- - Studying of ecological and biological features of widespread ornamental grasses.
- - Use of genera Salix, Populus and others in landscaping.
- - Vegetative reproduction of decorative Picea forms.
- - Vegetative reproduction of Thuja occidentalis ornamental forms.
- - Monitoring of the landscaping of KhNAU named after V.V. Dokuchaev.
- - Dissemination and development of diseases in parks.
- - Use of walnut species in landscaping.
- - Preservation and reproduction of the genetic diversity of nuts (hazelnuts).
Department of Philosophy, Historical and Social Disciplines is conducting research in the following areas:
- - Historical and socio-political aspects of agrarian education and science; the personalities of prominent University scientists of 20-21 centuries.
- - Mental and bioethical principles of an evolving society.
- - Patriotic, civic, social and environmental education of student youth; modern processes of the Ukrainian village.
- - Philosophy of geoculture.
- - History of domestic and foreign agricultural education and science; the personalities of prominent University scientists of the 19th-20th centuries.
- - Civil society.
- - Geocultural and socio-political aspects of cognition.
- - Images of the intelligentsia in Soviet visual culture (On materials of satirical publications).